Sunday, June 06, 2004

Out in the Holler

We dropped the kids off in W. Va. (at Steve's parents') for a couple of weeks of summer frolick (and work, too, since Papa often teaches them woodwork, construction, etc.) in the woods. There's always some new project they're working on, and they have made a lot of assets in real estate- buying, improving, selling- and they're quite a team. Retired but stay quite active and healthy. He's oh about 73-ish and she's about 64.
The one thing I don't really like is current teaching in their church. They attend a small Lutheran church way out in the woods in a hollow, old church-been there for ages- down a country lane- great congregation and beautiful people- the problem? The pastor there, she's sooo darn liberal, I mean c'mon, God has standards and it's up to the church to at least define sin, and love the sinner unconditionally. When I'm there it's like why don't we all hold hands and sing We are the World? I'm OK, You're OK. Touchy feely. Besides I don't think the pastor's husband even likes me. Once I tried to talk to him and he just turned away from me. What's up? I like the people, the congregation. But I need a church, I need church leadership, that defines the sin as God lays it down, and doesn't make concessions to the gods of the ages. I have many dear gay friends but I would not want a Christian church to concede to something that's forbidden by Christian precepts, which is gay marriage. This is what I mean, keep the standards, accept the people. But never endorse or admit sin. And gay marriage is not even a huge thing in my life, but there are many more issues that touch my heart more profoundly, and a church must keep those standards. I like the Catholic church's refusal to bow to the abortion lobby. They respect the sanctity of life.
Something I DO appreciate about our Lutheran church in Finneytown, and why I'm still with it, and if it weren't for Pastor Curry and his wife Kathy and my dear sweet Martha Lindner, who's such an evangelist in the core of her being, I probably may have switched. Pastor C. has kept the standards and has stood firm no matter what financial or political threat from the ELCA or other forces who may want him to compromise on teachings. I sure as heck don't have to be Lutheran. I'm Christian. Period.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home