Tuesday, May 10, 2005

My little man...

went to the doc today about headaches. The HN gave a full examination. Said they're most likely caused by too much caffeine and not enough water. Next they did a routine blood test and turned out his platelets are low. They thought he had a virus that might impede his activities for a few weeks. This kind of virus was news to me. Anyway he had to go to the hospital and get a more thorough test. Platelets there were normal. But still has a virus that will run its course. And now he cannot have caffeine or even carbonated beverages. No chocolate milk. Well the first thing we both did after I picked up my JC food was get a salad at Frisch's. And he's been drinking lots of water.

He's exactly 50% height, 40% weight stanine for his age. He always complained he was too short and he's exactly average. Problem is he's so young for his grade- summer birthday. And now- now he's going through a growth spurt- shooting right up there.

During the whole time, Micah was so nonchalant about the whole thing- big man, you know- and when I told him, "I worry about you, because I love you" he said "Well I'm not worried about this at all." And he felt uncomfortable doing stuff at the docs that most people just take for granted they'll have to do- since he has so rarely ever been sick- first time peeing in a cup made him embarrassed.

Though Micah's fascination with fireworks and things that crash, smoosh, burn, or otherwise do weird things (such as this morning throwing pieces of baloney onto his moving ceiling fan) worried the nurse, he's still growing to be a pretty mature, intelligent, 100% testesterone-saturated young man. :)

He got his hair cut the other day into a buzz that is so appropriate and cute and attractive on 11-year-old boys, not that matted mess he had before. This little buzz makes him make look more like Micah and less like my brother Dan, whom he resembles so strongly. And the male vanity! Oh my goodness- so preoccupied with this one barely noticeable mole on his forehead- has been for years- so we may get it taken off if that's what he really wants. The cute little tough guy clothes- you know the jeans with the little chains on them. His roller blades, his bike. His little self. His cuuuuuuute one-eyebrow raise. Those velvety black eyebrows. Those beautiful hazel-green eyes. And especially that smile, that incredible smile, that lights up the place. That smile has always hit me like sunshine ever since he was a baby. And those dimples to go with it! No wonder the little girls think he's "hot" (even though he claims girls despise him). His penchant for always being the center of attention in a group. His love for animals. His utter lack of fear (which tends to scare ME). His mischevious laugh. His tenderness towards younger kids, his toughness when necessary with his friends. His faults, efven. Bossy. Demanding. I just love that little boy.

6 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write so beautifully. Someday he will appreciate your love and what you've said so eloquently. Keep it up!

If you ever have Q's about platelets, let me know. They've been the scourge of my life for almost 40 years.

Aunt E.

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The nurse at the office said the test said his platelets were low (82,000 and need to be over 100,000). However, when we took him to the hospital, THEIR test showed no platelet abnormalities.

When the nurse said that she didn't think the test was correct, and she didn't think it was correct because he didn't have a lot of bruises on his body, you were the person I thought about. I remembered the trouble you had and thought, no- that isn't what Micah has.

He still has a virus, though, of some sort, which may be contributing to headaches. Tomorrow we're scheduling an MRI, just to make sure nothing's going on in his head but thinking.

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try to find a name for the virus. If I didn't get a name for that rascally Parvo or Fifths I would be very concerned and confused. Doctors are too non-chalant with our health in my opinion.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Ann said...

They said several times that IF the platelets had been low it would be something called (I think) ITP...? something with 3 letters, I think those are it.

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, ITP. Idiopathic thromobocytopenic purpura.

Sometimes called ATP for autoimmune thromobocytopenic purpura.

But of course that's not a virus. I know Micah's virus is something different, if he has one.

Aunt E.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Thanks, Ellen. He has some virus but not ITP. The docs say the virus runs its course. Seems to be 100% healthy after Tuesday- he's taken it upon himself to reduce his caffeine and increase his water intake.

I remember your bruises. The doc looked at his body and found a mild rash and about 5,843 mosquito bite/black fly scars, but no bruises/purpura.

Thanks, Toy, for the article on Asperger's. I realize that if I ever had that, it was pretty mild, since only about half of the symptoms maybe applied to me. I think there are different degrees of delays or problems in brain development. The obsessive interests really applied to Nathanael at that age, though. I see a few of those signs that applied and still apply to Nathanael, though like me, I think they are so borderline...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home