Sunday, March 13, 2005

I'm a mammal, too, so I understand! (but I don't eat my afterbirth.)

Extra surprise- Helen came to me meowing and started screaming- I knew it was time...I yelled at Steve to get a basket ready- she's going to have kittens. I didn't know for 100% sure until now that she was reallly going to have them, as immature as she is (thinking she herself was still a kitten and nursing on mother until just last week!) but we had to think she was- her teats were all milky. I hoped she hadn't had some outside and abandoned them. Anyway, after much screaming out come twins! She's an inexperienced mom and needed help, which I provided. Like shoving her nose in the first placenta and telling her she has to eat it. Prodding her to lick the kittens more. She was freaked out- didn't know quite what was going on- her body was doing weird painful things she'd never experienced before- but of course instinct took over for the most part. Two little ones that look just like her. Don't know if more are on the way- didn't feel there were but there are a couple of little lumps that could just be her uterus if not another kitten. Will keep you upddated. Well now of course is the momentous task of having 2 queens and 8 kittens in the house. Will be ready to be adopted at 8 weeks. In a couple of weeks or so they'll all go to the shed, like last time. Micah and Nathanael are on a creek hike, so they'll be so happy when they see this surprise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home