Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Just wanted to let you all know that Nathanael will be studying under Dr. Savarese for his tutorial. Literature of Disability or something like that. But with regards to that, his real expertise is autism. So Dave, this guy is one of the foremost experts on reaching autistic people. Read his book "Reasonable People". I think Irene got you a copy. It's about the experience he's had developing a communication system with his autistic son, and understanding how autistic people put together thoughts, associations, and logic. He and his wife adopted the boy at age 6, and the little boy was shut up in his own world and had been abused, but he now fully communicates using the facilitated method. Savarese is probably the leading expert in the study and understanding of the autistic mind. This boy is a pretty smart kid and is doing well in the Grinnell schools. He doesn't talk much but types everything. Autists are smart and they remember EVERYTHING. I bet Hayden remembers stuff you don't realize.

6 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm almost finished with his book. A few things, first it is a great read and manifesto if you will about our society and the way it idly sits by and permits this sort of stuff to happen. The first chapter was nominated for an essay award.

He is not, and does not claim to be an expert on autism. I don't think such a thing exists. He shoots from the hip trying to help his son and spurns lots of "expert" advice. His wife is an "expert" in autism from a mainstream sort of view. His is a unique story of reaching autism, abandonment, and trauma all wrapped in one. I am interested in some of what he does and wholeheartedly disagree with some of the other things he does.

As a therapist once told me, once you've met one child with autism, you've met one child with autism. They are all unique, and are all unique in how they can or cannot be reached.

Nathanael is lucky to have the chance to connect with such an eloquent writer.

Dave

 
At 8:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave, thanks for your eloquent comments. May I share them with Dr. Savarese?

Aunt I.

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's fine with me, didn't know you knew him.

Dave

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://socke-scheusal.greatestjournal.com/

This is Leah's blog, she's in Germay now and it has pictures to boot. She could use some moral support. If you scroll down the top page, there are instructions embedded in the comments on how to login as family/friend. If you have trouble let me know, and I can help. She's scared, and I'm jealous! A no pressure year in Germany, what a fun ride that would be!

Dave

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stand corrected.

Ann

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops! And I just sent Dave an email! Anyway, thanks.

Yes, I met him at an alumni reunion last year when he gave a talk about his forthcoming book. Really nice guy.

Aunt I.

P.S. Thanks for the use of the blog, Ann!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home