Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Many many pictures to come. Probably tomorrow, including a mystery film I found in a drawer. I had no idea what to expect. Was I pleasantly surprised! To be revealed shortly.

In the meantime, tell me of a time you remember your parents NOT letting you do something you really, really wanted to do. For me, it was movies. MY PARENTS DID NOT LET ME SEE "JAWS" AND I WAS SO DISAPPOINTED! I and my brothers stayed at the farm while my parents went. Boo hoo! Then when I went back to school that year, EVERYONE was talking about it, even our orchestra teacher Mr. Goldflies. He was talking with kids who were allowed to see the really cool movies like "The Towering Inferno". (Well I had to cut corners!) LOL Another one my mom nixed was when we were in this super snazzy hotel. We had eaten at the cool rotating restaurant on top with a panorama of Cincinnati and Newport. Annnnnnyway I settled back on the novel hotel bed and turned on the TV to watch "Sexual Bombshells". I was a few minutes into it when my mom said, "No, I don't think that's appropriate." After I protested, she said, "Here. You can watch 'The Rockford Files'. You're allowed to watch that." I had no interest in the Rockford Files. I wanted to know what Cher had to say about being a sexual bombshell, the definition of which I had NO CLUE. It sounded way glamorous and powerful. Now I can't stand Cher. I think she's just one more self-obsessed Hollywood freak show. But that was a time before Cher became the current Cher. She was Sonny's Cher. There were other actresses on the show. Who knows, Farrah maybe? Google it now and it doesn't even come up. Maybe it all never happened! At the same hotel Dave and I started to watch "One of my Wives is Missing" with Jack Klugman (that is findable on Google) and my parents nixed that, too. Boo hoo!

In first grade Mom suddenly, without warning, NIXED our favorite cereals! DENIED!She read a health report of some sort and the rule was made. All the empty-calorie cereals we CRAVED every morning were GONE! Oh the humanity! The rule was: if the first or second ingredient was sugar, we could not have it. Which was a good idea because I find now I'm extremely, extremely hypoglycemic and that was one of my problems in Grade 1. I most likely would have been classified today as ADHD! Then in second grade it became magically easier to concentrate. I WONDER WHY? No more Quisp! (Quisp remains my all-time favorite cereal, though. Love chomping on the little space disks.) I recently had to rule out all cereal in the a.m. because the sugar drop had been making me crash at work for YEARS. I wondered what was making me want to fall asleep. I don't know why I was too dense to figure that one out, DUH. The one cereal I can continue with is Ezekiel 4:9, which create a protein similar to that found in eggs by mixing and then baking together a series of grains using an ancient Biblical recipe. I don't get the sugar sways, and if God wrote a recipe it's got to be healthy. Nathanael said "It tastes so .... Amish." and I said "It tastes so...Jewish." I sometimes just have a bowl of that instead of a whole meal and I'm satisfied for hours.

Must get to sleep. Pix forthcoming.

2 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! So I was proven right by limiting your sugar fix in the morning. I'm not sorry I took your Froot Loops away. And maybe I'll try some of that Ezekiel stuff. It sounds good. Thanks for the trip down memory lane with the pictures of the kids so long ago. Their childhood sure goes fast. Mom

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remember some abstract movie that we tried to watch? Man I wish I had memory that good. I remember only two things from that trip. One I loved the pool. Two I saw a preying mantis on the window of the restaurant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home