Wednesday, June 20, 2007

New Territory

Besides moving, I'm going to be doing another new thing. Something I have not ever done before. So I need some advice. Actually Micah is going to do it, but I will be responsible...

Become a dog owner.

Micah really, really wants a dog. I'm thinking of getting him one for his birthday. The new house has few carpets and a good yard. And a big basement of concrete.

How often does a dog have to do business?

What kind of dog is best?

What kind is quiet but loyal?

How often do we walk him/her?

Will a dog get lonely/bored alone in a house?

Can we leave the dog outside in a little dog house? Can a dog deal with living in a little Snoopy house? (Well, actually Snoopy had a pool room and a nice-sized Van Gogh museum in his house, but that's another story.)

Will a dog be OK with his/her boy at school all day?

How expensive is it to feed a dog?

How expensive are vet bills? Way more than cats, I presume?

What kind of dogs are most trainable?

I don't want a yippy, squeaky, irritating nip-at-the-heels little dog. No Dachshunds. Anything else to stay away from?

Will the dog be happy if I give him/her a little place in the basement with his/her own toys, blankets, etc.? Will a dog stray from this area and rip other stuff up?

How is a dog on hardwood floor? I have heard stories.

4 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I answered you here
http://dailymom.livejournal.com/494794.html

because it was too much info for this tiny reply space.
Toy

 
At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could have Micah take care of Phoenix for a couple of days to see how he likes it. Maybe a few pooper-scoops will get him to change his mind. Actually, I don't think it's very good to have a dog alone in the house all day, or out in the yard for that matter. Dogs need to be around people. And they ARE high maintenance, and there's expense, too. Think it over a long time before you get one. If you did, I'd suggest going to the shelter to find one that would otherwise be euthanized. Mom

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a plan.

We have hit a couple snags with this house. The inspector found some problems so Dan is negotiating with Sue (their realtor) to lower the price...problem is, they are old and in a nursing home. The man has Alzheimer's. They disclosed nothing was wrong but I genuinely think they were unaware.

The roof is old and the AC is old but the main thing I want fixed is the furnace pipes which could be hazardous. I think if they give on that, we might work with the rest. I wonder if they have children helping them out.

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How sad if they don't. If there aren't any children, there should be someone appointed as a guardian, anyway. He would need someone to do the paperwork for him in the nursing home, if nothing else. It will all get worked out. Glad the inspector found the problems before you get yourself committed to the purchase. If you want Micah to have experience with Phoenix, we DO need someone to take care of him while we are in Canada. How about it? Trade Nathanael for Phoenix? Ha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home