Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Save your money...

by not seeing "Anchorman". We just saw it. A couple of laughs but overall it was, well, stupid. Forgettable. Christina Applegate looks a lot like Julia Duffy but guess what, she's not that funny. Will Farrell should have kept this as an SNL skit.

Trying to contact Mr./Mrs. Iwao but the phone's busy. Trying to set this up-

Mmm, what else. Well don't know quite where I fit in at work, "my" desk was hijacked and it's now Stephanie's, because I'm out interpreting a lot and no longer really in the office. I felt pretty bad when my pix were removed to the top of a filing cabinet. Gerry says "Well she really isn't doing much right now, there's not much project management to do" and then proceeded to tell me that Friday (when I'll be gone) there may be a contract we get which he WOULD like me to manage, and they might want the quote back on that Monday, but if I'm gone Fri. he may do it or it may go elsewhere or he may wait for me. But really Steph may end up doing it, I think. Also told him I'd be happy to help w/ the accounting because I don't think R. knows how to do it and make everything come out exactly. Heck even Rafael took more time with it than I did and he designed the Excel spreadsheets we use, which are very good. 
Well I'm interpreting more and interpreting definitely pays more and those 2 are getting paid less in the office than I was in the office but interpreting pays more than either. Quite seriously if I were in the office I'd combine both their jobs. Yet they were doing it before I was. Can't just take away stuff. Right now I like interpreting and prefer it actually as long as I get the work. I definitely can't see myself jockeying for projects & stuff like this all my life so I'm kinda wondering where I go from here. But tomorrow I go in for a while to work on a powerpoint presentation to give to the folks in Japan - my idea, which G. liked- and also trying to keep up the message board. Students there are on vacation. I'll take lots of pix at Conversa and put my artistry to work. I like powerpoint. You can do cool stuff with it which most people who use it don't use.
Next week I'll be in court every day. If we get the big project and if I work on it that may take up a lot of Aug. But seriously I don't see too much overhead costs involved. What I WANT to do is work up a project cost/profit spreadsheet that will tell us exactly what profit we make on each project. IMHO way too much is spent on overhead and he doesn't realize it even though he's always shopping for the better bargain. He spends on a lot of hidden costs he doesn't realize.
Anyway I'll be concentrating on the Japan thing mostly until we actually go. I think it will happen. We're having an informational meeting Aug. 4th for interested people. I hope to bring Leah and anyone else reading this is invited.

Sorry my blogs are boring. About my work, etc. Blah blah blah. But it's just writing as I'm thinking. I intentionally leave out some punctuation and put together looooooong sentences because it is quite honestly just train of thought stuff. If I were to edit this for legibility/readability, I'd be doing a lot of correcting.

Going to eat my oatmeal and then try the Iwaos again. See I gotta do this at odd hours cause, you know, the world is round. 

OK oatmeal done. I gotta say the person I helped today at the dentist's was a 14-year-old girl who wasn't brushing and flossing thoroughly and was getting her teeth cleaned. The mother was there and we started talking and she talked about her church, Pentecostal, and we had a nice conversation. A lot of Hondurans here are in Evangelical churches, probably more Evangelical denominations than Catholic. It's a misconception, by the way, that everyone from Latin countries is Catholic. Over half the folks I know from Central America are Baptist, Methodist, Mennonite, Evangelical, but still many are Catholic. Most of the women I have met from Honduras are very convicted believers, though, because many churches there are first-generation, or second generation, and people choose churches of their own free will, not because of being "born" in one.
Anyway this lady was really nice, she and the daughter have the long hair/skirts of Pentecostals (which doesn't always stand out, since so many women in Central America have long gorgeous hair and wear skirts- Pentecostals stand out more among gringos but hey I'd like to be Pentecostal if I can have the beautiful hair they do- :) ) But anyway the lady says she sells music and I asked if she listened to Jaci Velasquez and she says "Oh no, she's no longer a Christian." She insisted. Well I asked why she thought that and she said, "She was in a video with hardly any clothes on (which I later found out was a low-backed top), and she got her hair cut short!" Sigh----too many churches get legalistic and don't focus on grace. Now are the Wesleyans gonna slam the Pentecostals for not putting their hair UP? What a nice lady and a good Christian but you don't cease being a Christian for your taste in clothes or hairstyles. Now if she were out looking like Christina Aguilera I'd question her sanity based on the fact that she's in the past been such a modest person. Jaci's far from slutty...nothing she wears is gonna get her a gig on Craig Kilbourne. :)  Well heck when I see the Miss America pageants a lot of those girls are Christians, and they're using this platform to share their faith with others. It all depends on your own convictions, but when people start getting judgmental then we Christians are becoming the Taliban.  Islam is so works-oriented and legalistic and one wrong move and you're an infidel...Christianity is NOT supposed to be that way, Christ came to show us grace, and He sure slammed the Pharisees for acting this way.

One last note on that, the dental hygienist, after giving Keila a lesson on proper tooth care, well this particular man always has the radio on WAKW, the Christian station. I told the mother, "he's listening to Christian radio" and I commented to him and she said, "he's Christian?" and through me he said "Yes," and she said "Me, too" in English and then he said, "Great, well then we have the same Father!" and after I translated that for her she smiled and as they left she said in English "God Bless You". That was a nice moment. Hey in Heaven they will understand each other and won't need me to interpret. :) What language will we speak in Heaven- Esperanto? Piglatin? LOL I should write more of these blogs in Spanish but the people I know who read it wouldn't understand- but I oughtta do it to practice my run-on, no-general-topic format of writing in yet another language.

Off my soap box now. Pitts out-

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home