Monday, September 04, 2006

This blog is temporarily subtitled "Some Things I Know and a Few that I Don't" and someday I'm going to post my rambling essay about all the things I know, or think I know. Until that day comes, let me say for the record:

If you put your house on the market to sell, I would like to state that the top five list of things I do NOT want to see when viewing it online or in person are:

5 Weird paint ideas, especially with bedrooms. I don't know why but you must think I relish the idea of living with your bright blue walls with pink curtains. Or that I relish painting over them and ripping your curtains to shreds if you leave them (don't). No wonder your house is selling for 50K less than the others around it.

4. I don't want to see dark wood paneling of the 70's. That's what happened the first time I bought a house. The people who had lived in my house had a "horse farm" theme. The attempted to make the house look like a stable. Ladies and gentlemen, Quincy no longer lives in his houseboat and that wood color is no longer with us. Please replace.

3. Your dirty carpet your dogs peed on is going to have to go. Just give me bare floor. I don't care how ugly it is- it's much prettier than your disease-infested carpet.

2. NO Beanie babies, My Pretty Ponies, Precious Moments, Care Bears, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or superheroes of any kind. Oh and if you're thinking it's just because it's the 90's stuff, think again. Same goes for Teletubbies, Spongebob, and the Princesses. Get the OUT! OUT! OUT! NO MORE SPONGEBOB!

I'm going to make two exceptions: Cars and Thomas the Tank Engine. Because I like those. And I'm right and you're wrong. So there. D'ya wanna fight about it? Let's take this outside...

And last but not least, the one thing I HATE MORE THAN ANYTHING:

WALLPAPER BORDERS!!!!

Again, I am right and you are wrong if you have and like wallpaper borders. There is just about nothing more annoying than a running set of oranges and pears dancing just under the kitchen ceiling. How cluttered can a room look? Let's see! All we have to do is tack on a foot-high ribbon of pink and purple flowers three feet off the floor all around the living room.

No, I do not want a stripe containing pictures of cilantro, oregano, basil, and paprika running the length of my prospective kitchen, along with their flowery-written Italian definitions. No, I do not want Barbie and her horse iterated 20 times along the border of the insanely pink girl's room. (And that's another one I dealt with in my current house. Prancing little white horses...a veritable nightmare!)

Everybody please repeat:

WALLPAPER BORDERS are EVIL and MUST BE DESTROYED!

6 Comments:

At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts on decorating. I'll keep them in mind as we continue to prepare for eventually (in a few years) selling our house. Now, just to complicate matters, what do you think of wallpaper itself? I mean a whole room of it, left over from the days when that was so "in"?

Next year I plan to get rid of the kitchen wallpaper. But we still have 2 bedrooms and the dining room to think about. Did you notice them when you were here (in Illinois) last year?

Aunt E.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Let me ruminate on those thoughts...:) Of course you know my thoughts are just for silliness, and just my own taste. No need to take that entry seriously.

Some wallpaper is OK, but I guess when I think of moving into a house with wallpaper there, unless it is fairly neutral or I really, really take a liking to it, I feel like another person's still there. It's their taste, not mine.

I actually like your little childrens' bedroom there in Illinois. :) Even the border. But as for selling the house, I think a lot of people want a house they can essentially start over again in. I know I think that as I look at houses. But it breaks my heart to think about redoing that little airplane room where my kids stayed when they were so little. So I might not be the best person to ask!
I know most buyers want a roomy kitchen with little clutter and lots of space. I know I'll be taking off the refrigerator magnets when it comes time to sell.

 
At 8:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does this mean you can't stand our kitchen and bathroom?? They have borders galore. Mom

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Hmmmm....never thought about it...I guess they do...maybe some borders are less traumatic than others....?

 
At 7:59 PM, Blogger Ann said...

But Mom, you're not selling your house. :)

We definitely do NOT want to bring the bright orange flowers and stinky orange carpet to the kitchen!

Yes, the 70's were rough on that house. The 90's, I am discovering, were equally as rough on many houses.

The 2000's- I see every house getting painted those desert theme colors- in another 7 or 8 years, those will look hopelessly dated, as dated as a roomful of Longaberger baskets filled with countrified Americana. Pretty as it is now, in 10 years the fickle industry will change its and everyone else's minds about what is interior decorating. :)

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Ann said...

What I meant was the Longaberger stuff was so in a decade ago. My SIL had a whole houseful of that and now I don't know what she does with it all. When she moved she redid the house in a different theme. I guess Longaberger is making different baskets, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home