Friday, August 20, 2004

Cedar Point and Rough

On the way back up to Cedar Point so just my 2cents' worth before I go.

Spend the last 2 days at Rough (pronounced Rauw, rhymes with Mao)- this is where I really wanna work (and could do a lot of good) someday. Could combine the manufacturing/documentation skills with interpreting. Well the Production Manager that I spent the last 2 days with sorta intimated that just a leeeeetle when I said wow, so many people say such good things, I'd like to work here too! Said it sorta halfheartedly but actually not...I mean I guess I was fishing without meaning to... and I have nibbles... and I think with prayer and good monitoring this could be good for me. I see a lot of good I could do there, both interpreting and in their 5S program, and totally revamping their severely lax documentation system. I mean they have no system of revisions, etc., which costs them lots of time, man hours, and money. Typical story of people not wanting to change, working in silos, getting territorial, etc. You know the story. But wow, how they really value their employees there. I just got done interpreting for many PR's and will go back Tues., and their production is so good, the people are so enthusiastic to work there, and they're treated fairly, that there's pretty low turnover and despite some problems people enjoy going to work there every day. Problems being inaccurate paperwork and scheduling changes. Well the inaccurate paperwork is very costly as well as scheduling (for which they bill when the change comes from the client, but it's frustrating to work on a rush job only to find it sitting for 2 weeks NOT being sent). The paperwork is a result of not really needing much document control when it was a small company but when you don't put in proper controls when it's small the problem gets cloned as the company grows and it really turns into a cancer eating at your profits...

Anyway that's what I know about Rough. I'd like to work there someday....not right now today...but sometime the future, I'd put it on a middle burner of their was such a thing... that's what I'd really like to do. Getting ready for Japan right now (or trying, since I'm so busy with interpreting).

Steve and Nathanael will be diving at Gilboa while Micah and I romp around Cedar Point.

Man it's such a great feeling coming out of a workplace that is SO pleasant! It's not that their aren't conflicts because the great thing is that they recognize there ARE, it's not some sort of orgy of we-are-the-world schmaltzy unity. It's just a real place and people really are respected.

2 Comments:

At 8:44 PM, Blogger vir said...

So is this potential future job here or in northern Ohio?

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger vir said...

Hum, will Ann ever answer Vir's questions is she destined to live life with no answers about her friend life. Stay tuned as the saga continues.........

 

Post a Comment

<< Home