Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Micah went trick-or-treating as the skating Darth Vader. He worked on that costume until he got it right, not content with just the out of the box version. He enhanced it with a cape from another costume. He went with Brian and some other kids in Brian's neighborhood. Brian's neighborhood adjoins ours but let's face it- the houses in that neighborhood are closer together, the trees are taller, the families are younger, and it's just much more halloweenable. He brought home a metric ton of candy, while here we had a sparse showing of kids- about 30, if that.

We're down to 1 cat again now. I'm tired of cats. We still have the Big Guy- call him Theo or Reggie. I call him Who Dey. Oreo and Brio ran away. I'm sick of it. I'm not prepared to ever invest in another cat. After Big Guy, that's it. They always run away. I can no longer count on my hands the cats we have had who ran away.

I don't DO the indoor cat thing. If I were a cat, I wouldn't want to stay inside all day. A cat should be out doing what cats do, at least part of the time. When I grew up, we had indoor/outdoor cats-two of them. Blaze and Cotton. Blaze was the mom of Cotton. They each lived to about 150. I actually still dream about Blaze all the time. I dream I still have her. Desdemona and Fiona were my next two favorites. Desdemona ran away. Fiona got sick and we put her down. Besides them, we've had many. Leo, Brio, Oreo, Helen, Aurora, Diamond, Socks, Lucky. (sigh) All of those but Socks (who got old and died)- runaways.

Since I'm not prepared to do the indoor cat thing, I'm just not going to have cats anymore except Big Guy. Big Guy's a good cat and he doesn't seem to want to go anywhere. He's the last cat I'll have for the forseeable future although before I die I know at some point I am going to have an all-black male cat named Othello. And maybe another black one named Ludovico il Moro.

4 Comments:

At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the kitties. Before Suka all my kitties were indoor/outdorr cats. Then they got eaten by Coyotes. Then we got Suka and she is an indoor cat, always has been and doesn't seem to mind. She had the run of the place and pounces on the dogs as her playmates. The boys give her plenty of exercise and she seem to have no inclination to go out.

I love my kitties but I can't stomach having another one leave the hard way so, indoors it is.

 
At 2:16 PM, Blogger Ann said...

It doesn't help, either, that I also hit and killed a cat driving the other day. The same day I realized Oreo and Brio weren't returning. I had bad karma with cats that particular day. My husband yells at me for spending $$ for the vet for cats who just run away. So I quit.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Ann said...

No coyotes here- pit bulls, maybe.

Unfortunately for my kitties it's been traffic. I just don't understand what they can't fathom about moving cars. Cats arrived on the scene before cars did, so I guess they just don't have it in their brain that cars = dead cats.

 
At 12:54 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Yikes, looks like I only have 8 fingers- seven. Actually I think probably we've had even more runaways than the ones I named.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home