Wednesday, November 09, 2005

French-speakers, Nathanael's Voltaire riddle:

Nathanael found this online and he writes:

Back in... oh, whenever this took place, it was traditional to correspond in French. (From me: Please ignore the periods...bloggers scrunches the letters together if I don't put them in there.)
The king wrote to Voltaire from his castle Sans Souci:

p..........si
----- à -----
venez... 100

Voltaire wrote back:

G a

What in the heck were they talking about?

(Scroll down for the solution.)














The king wrote: "Venez souper à Sans Souci" (Come dine at Sans Souci).

Voltaire wrote: "J'ai grand appetit" (I'm quite hungry).



That was 2 cute? Maybe Voltaire ate pheasant at Sans Souci and returned home to find his wife had had the same feast. (Did he have a wife?) His response- OU812?

Nathanael just informs me that my pictureless rebus was not nearly as clever as his witty word play.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home