Friday, November 18, 2005

Everyone you have to please help me with Micah, encourage him as much as you can. He's not doing well in school because he just won't do homework or schoolwork. A lot of it is because he's defensive and emotionally charged. I'm micromanaging him now, thanks to the fact that I work so close to his school. I'm really popping in every day. This has got to change. He may repeat the 7th grade. His birthday is in the summer, and it was one of those decisions- academically OK but emotionally not. He may be more successful if we repeat 7th but the stigma would be difficult for him. Gosh one more year...one more year for him to grow...it might be worth it.

I actually watched the old "Tractor Rides and Tractor Tales" (old Troxel movies) last night- despite the awful lighting and minimal color saturation (Yellowstone Park is just all cyan, right?) I decided that as a teenager I was actually really pretty. I thought I was so ugly then. But I really had a pretty face. I can't believe it. I'm only now figuring it out. Now that face is really old but the face I have and the face I think I have are two different faces. I had soft, well-proportioned features. My chin wasn't ugly like I thought it was. I didn't have horse teeth. I was actually really pretty even when I frowned for my dad's videocamera, which I did starting at about age 13. I definitely had the teenage attitude down pat. I was actually prettier than a lot of the girls I thought were pretty then.

4 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time you figured out what we've always known and told you. You were and are very pretty. Hope Micah's just having a bad spell and it will be OK later, but if repeating a year would help then do it. He doesn't have to be in any hurry to grow up, that's for sure. Mom

 
At 9:58 PM, Blogger Ann said...

In the early years the teeth really eclipse everything, but after braces I can see I was very pretty. Too bad I didn't know it. Well that face is a little older now but I'll live with it.

 
At 1:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, of course you were pretty. No one but you ever thought differently. And you still are. I love to look at your wedding pictures.

As for Micah, if you really want my input, my suggestion is for you to help him find an activity that he really likes and encourage him to develop skills, and never use it as a bribe or punishment for his schoolwork. Ask him what, if he really could do it, secret ideas he has about something he would like to learn. Every child can find something. Perhaps karate, or horseback riding, or photography, or maybe even woodworking with his Uncle Dan. Something non-competitive that his brother is not involved with. And then find a way to make it happen for him. It may not last long, but he needs to have a chance to develop some sort of skill that can make him feel special. Karate is good because it is both physical and requires a sense of discipline.

A sense of self discipline is what this is all about, in the end.

Aunt E.

 
At 7:29 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Yes, he will go into karate. And also back into scouting. It will help. He had a great day in school the other day. I am also going to take him to a psychiatrist and have him evaluated there for possible signs of depression. Never too early.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home