Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Sorry everyone about the previous post- maybe I'm inferring a lot more than my dad's implying. Maybe it's his own fears about dying. I just wish he wouldn't think I'm just a little rat waiting for the moment to take the treasure. OK I guess he saw people do that when his own parents died, and to a lesser extent when my mom's parents died. My mom told me that she wants the heirlooms and family items to go to who wants them, and if I want anything to write it down. I said I didn't really know, I'm not so picky, if someone else really wants something here I'll concede, I'm not so super-attached to any stuff. Then I was kind of being silly and said, "Here. I want this wooden jar." Mom said, "Good. That's a good start. That's from Costa Rica." Then I went into a sort of Steve Martin/Jerk routine and got her laughing a little, "...and I want those knives..." she said, "Good. We got those in Germany." (btw there are very few countries they haven't been to now- trips to Norway, Finland, Russia, Peru, and India are in their pipeline)...Now the stocks and stuff are just split 4 ways and my brothers and I all know that and we aren't antipating their demise anytime soon and we aren't even thinking about this. But mom says, "Well when your dad and I croak, we have this sorted out with the investments and assets, but you kids all need to say what you're particularly attached to." I said, "Well, I like those things I mentioned and other things, too, but if someone else really wanted something I'm not so attached to it." But then my dad sees me and mom talking like this and he suddenly stops joking, not wanting to discuss the "croaking" or anything. Sometimes he'll yell at mom about it but lately he must think I'm a klepto, like the other day him thinking I was going to steal his crossword puzzle book. Is it me? Have I done something for him to think this way about me? Does he really think I'm hovering around the house for their investments and a wooden jar? Just waiting for him to die? OK I know he's afraid of dying and death and has this wonderful way of putting out of his mind anything he doesn't want to think about. Why does he think it's ME that's the greedy one? I just have to accept he's getting older and these thoughts get stuck in his mind, he's just like that...My mom just says "well you know how he is, don't pay attention to it" but it WOULD be nice for him to think I'm not a total loser.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home