Tuesday, May 11, 2004

Second bloggin' day of the week

Well I think I've got a home for one of my kittens-Aretha, one of my English students (originally from Tijuana, and an engineer for Sola). She has a plethora of men chasing her around and she doesn't quite know how to get rid of them because she's afraid of sounding impolite, but confesses she doesn't want a man right now because after being married once she values her privacy. What she really wants is a cat. I had to tell her about hairballs and cat vomit, which go along with cat ownership, but I think she's still sold on the idea. So as soon as the quints are weaned one already has a new home.

My son Nathanael wants you to visit www.btinternet.com/~david.st/b3ta ....this is a very strange website made by an even stranger person in Sweden- and I-well, it's funny in a "what-just-happened-here" way.

OK, some other things I'm gonna recommend to all my "many" readers:
I've really found that marketability and talent don't usually go together. Though they sometimes do, talent is frequently not marketed to the whole planet, and so, as in the case of music, sometimes you have to search out the talent.

Here's some people I highly recommend: Jim Hurst and Missy Raines. I just bought their CD "Synergy" (after seeing them at Cincinnati's Appalachian festival) and it's one of the best CD's I have ever heard. They are master instrumentalists (he on guitar and she on bass guitar). Pinecastle Records- check it out. His voice is beginning to approach Garth's, and their Bluegrass and Jazz influences mold so seamlessly that only once you've heard it will you understand. By the way, you won't be sorry if you pick up a Laurie Lewis/Tom Rozum CD as well- she's got violin and vocals with all the little details- grace notes, that seasoned, smokey sound, the precision in each note- check them out- I had their CD "Guest House" even before I heard them at the festival and they as well as Hurst and Raines sound even better in person.

Here's another awesome band- John Kagge and the Lonesome Strangers. A local band and really I can't convey in words to you the mellifluous sound of Doug Hamilton's violin. I mean, this man is something I can't describe. His fiddle is his voice and conveys all those wordless emotions. I've gone to listen to them a couple of times at The Stadium in Oxford, Ohio, and every time I've wondered what the heck they're doing there every Sunday night rather than being up on a big Nashville stage. Oh, I see. It's the glitter and glam. Glitter and glam market well, right? That's why there are so many with NO talent, who have that glitter and glam...and they're "famous". NOT that there's anything bad about glitter and glam if you HAVE talent too- two of my fave musicians are Dolly Parton and Charo.

Are you tired of reading my blog yet? I wonder how many people blog here without anyone else reading it- I mean, there are millions...well, I just happened to run across a few that I found really interesting. There's one called markshea- a very well-thought out journal by a very intelligent Christian (Catholic) writer. I found myself acknowledging the truth of and agreeing with his views.

By the way, Vir's site is muttering.blogsite.com, and only the title "mutterings" with the "s". Sorry.

More later.

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, Blogger vir said...

Strangers who love Sweden now read your site lovers of Appalachia now read your site and God help us (wicked *grin*)even Catholics now read your Marten Luther loven site! hehehe
kinda scary, kinda cool - i personally have enjoyed the read :) Vir

 

Post a Comment

<< Home