Thursday, July 20, 2006

What would WWIII look like? This could be it, because it's so global. Current culture has the prognosticated "WWIII" a mutually assured global destruction. However, that may not be. There may be lots of regional wars as well as a WWIV, WWV, etc.

Well it's bad enough I have a husband who may be going back there, but I can accept it. I just will not, cannot, send my kids there. I pray there is no draft again. Ever. Do you know the folks too young for Viet Nam are the FIRST American generation not subject to the draft. Except a very thin bunch of guys born in about 1937 or so- too young for WWII, too old for Korea. My dad was one of those but his brother went to Korea. Several of my uncles and all of my great uncles served. They had to. Notwithstanding, I just cannot send my kids to any conflict. Can any mother stand it? If either choose it, I will support them but not have a restful night. I will be on my knees night and day. It's different- when you're a wife you know your husband knows what he's doing. But even if your kids do, too, you don't want them there because you still want to protect them. They are your babies.

My kids are young men but are my babies.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, those guys born in 1937, and the years before and after, were indeed subject to the draft. All men aged 18 and older HAD to register. Not every man was forced to go, however. Some were able to get deferments, if they were in college or for other reasons. For instance, in 1960 married men were drafted but fathers were excused. Chuck received his draft notice but was able to join the Army Reserves instead. He came very close to being called up to active duty during the Bay of Pigs showdown. It was a scary time.

Aunt E.

 
At 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant the Cuban Missile Crisis, not the Bay of Pigs event.

Aunt E.

P.S. Chuck thinks your Dad didn't have to go because his county's quota was already filled.

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Ann said...

I'll have to ask my dad when he registered.

Hope my kids never have to. Nathanael expresses no interest in the military. Micah at times has been fascinated with the military but after his father went to Iraq, he doesn't think he wants to go into it. He has a lot of time to think about it, though. If he does, I support him. But I don't want him to be forced. And I HOPE they don't join at all!!! Micah says now he wants to be a policeman. Yikes!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Ann said...

The Cuba thing- Fidel's had that country stuck in a time warp for more than 50 years. He's still in the cold war but nobody is financing him now. Maybe China or North Korea is/will and they're just biding time to see what will happen post-Castro- very scary thought. Who's next in line after Fidel croaks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home